The 42nd IAD Conference in Congress Centre Smolenice of the SAS
On days 2-6. July 2018 the 42nd IAD (International Association for Danube Research) conference will be held at the Congress Centre Smolenice.
The International Association for Danube Research was founded in 1956 with the aim of promoting and coordinating activities in the fields of limnology, water management, water protection and sustainable development in the Danube River basin. Since 1998, IAD has become observer and participated actively in the various expert groups of the International Commission for the Protection of the Danube River (ICPDR), contributing to the development of the Danube River Basin Management Plan the Joint Statement for Navigation, the draft Guidelines for Hydropower in the Danube Region, the Sturgeon Action Plan and the Sturgeon 2020 Program.
1. Bio- and geodiversity – from headwaters to marine environment: values and threats.
2. Fish-ecology as basis to ensure sustainable fishery practices.
3. The importance of vegetation for the aquatic environment.
4. Structure and development of invertebrate communities.
5. Water quality monitoring and quality targets for local uses of river water.
6. Microbiological quality of Danube ecosystems.
7. Ecotoxicological impact of aquatic contaminants.
8. Transformations and connectivity fluxes between river structures.
9. Evolution of the Danube River Basin: history, ecosystem services, restoration and conservation.
10. Floods and droughts and climate changes impact – river responses and public perception.
11. Sustainable development in the Danube River Basin: strategy and policy in Danube Basin.
The 42th IAD conference will provide a forum for the long-term multidisciplinary research activities and discussions on various topics which reveal the importance of different types of watercourses for the Danube Basin, as well as the interlinkage with the marine area, highlighting the need to protect the biodiversity of this unique area.